Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Technique Tuesday...

The Large Horn Cable Stitch

Today's technique is a beautiful intermediate cable stitch that would be great for sweaters or blankets or even a big chunky cowl.  Before I learned how to knit cables I was very intimidated by them, they seemed quite scary to me.  I forced myself to learn the basic cable forward and cable back techniques and instantly was hooked, it was so easy and the work was beautiful.  If you haven't yet tried knitting cables, I urge you to try to today.

I have included a video for the Large Horn Cable Stitch by New Stitch a Day.  All of the videos on his site are very thorough and easy to follow along with.  If you go to New Stitch a Day, the written instructions are also included beneath the video for those of you that need to read them as well as watch.  I will include them here too.

TECHNIQUES USED IN THIS STITCH:

Knit Stitch- K
Purl Stitch- P

Cable Four Front (C4F) – Slip next 2 sts on needle onto a cable needle and hold in front of work, k2, k2 from cable needle.
Cable Four Back (C4B) – Slip next 2 sts on needle onto a cable needle and hold in back of work, k2, k2 from cable needle.
  
Cast on: worked over multiples of 16sts on a background of reverse stockinette stitch

Pattern Instructions

  1. Row 1:  (right side) k4, C4B, C4F, k4.
  2. Row 2:  P16.
  3. Row 3:  k2, C4B, k4, C4F, k2.
  4. Row 4:  P16.
  5. Row 5:  C4B, k8, C4F.
  6. Row 6:  P16.
Repeat rows 1-6 until you have reached your desired length.

No comments:

Post a Comment