Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Technique Tuesday...

Today's post I dedicate to my friend Jodi.  Recently Jodi and I got together for two days so I could teach her how to knit and she could teach me how to spin yarn on a drop spindle.  I love teaching as much as I love learning new things, so it was the perfect experience.  Now I am hooked on spinning, but more on that later.

When I teach people how to knit, the first project I usually give them is a dishcloth, it is quick, easy and functional.  Also, you can make a dishcloth out of just about any knit and purl stitch combination so it is good practice for learning new stitches.  Today's technique is an easy stitch that works very well when making a dishcloth, it is the Double Basket Weave Stitch.  The video instruction is again brought to you by New Stitch a Day.





Skill: Easy
Cast On: Multiples of 4 + 3
TECHNIQUES USED IN THIS STITCH:
K- knit
P- purl

Pattern Instructions:

Row 1 (RS): Knit
Row 2: *K3, p1; rep from * to last sts, k3
Row 3: Knit
Row 4: (row 2) *K3, p1, rep from * to last sts, k3
Row 5: Knit
Row 6: K1, *p1, k3; rep from * to last 2 sts, p1, k1
Row 7: Knit
Row 8: (row 6) K1, *p1, k3; rep from * to last 2 sts, p1, k1
Repeat these 8 rows until you have reached your desired length.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Leah! You are an amazing teacher. So empowering! I never ever thought I could knit and now I have some awesome things that I make :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jodi, you are so very welcome! I love teaching and I am so impressed with how quickly you caught on and how well you are doing! Keep up the great work! Also, I thank you for teaching me a new skill; I've always wanted to spin, but never really thought it would happen. You have opened up a whole new world to me, thank you! We could now probably get into a whole lot of wooly trouble together ;)

      Delete